American Job Centers


Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA)


If Imports Cost You Your Job . . . Apply for Trade Adjustment Assistance

The Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) program is a federal entitlement program established under the Trade Act of 1974, as amended by the Trade Adjustment Assistance Reform Act of 2002. The TAA Program provides aid to workers who lose their jobs or whose hours of work and wages are reduced as a result of foreign trade.

How do I apply for Trade Adjustment Assistance?

A Petition for TAA may be filed by a group of three or more workers, their union, a company official, the American Job Center  Administrator, or Dislocated Services Unit. Petition forms may be obtained from the United States Department of Labor Employment and Training Administration (US DOL/ETA) website.

Petitioners should complete and sign the petition and fax it to the State Dislocated Services Unit at (410) 333-5064. If a petition is filed by a union or company official, only one petitioner signature is required. Otherwise, the petition must be signed by at least three workers.

How do you become eligible for Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA)?

Petitions for TAA are filed with the U.S. Department of Labor (USDOL). The Department of Labor has sole responsibility for conducting a fact finding investigation to determine whether group eligibility criteria have been met and issues an official notice of its decision no later than 40 days after receiving the petition.

What are the eligibility requirements for a petition to be certified?

In order for the U.S. Department of Labor to issue a Certification Regarding Eligibility to Apply for Worker Adjustment Assistance, the following requirements must be met:

  1. that Increased imports;
  2. Shift in operations to certain countries; and
  3. Supply or downstream production to certain companies with TAA-certified workers.

Once the U.S. Department of Labor issues a Certification Regarding Eligibility, trade affected workers may apply for benefits under the TAA program.

What program benefits are available through the Trade Act?

TRAINING - classroom training, on-the-job training, customized training designed to meet the needs of a specific employer or group of employers, apprenticeship programs, and more.

TRADE READJUSTMENT ALLOWANCES (TRA) - income support available in the form of weekly cash payments to workers who are enrolled in a full-time training course and have exhausted their unemployment insurance.

JOB SEARCH ALLOWANCES - may be payable to cover expenses incurred in seeking employment outside your normal commuting area.

RELOCATION ALLOWANCES - provide reimbursement for approved expenses if you are successful in obtaining employment outside your normal commuting area for you to relocate to your new area of employment.

ALTERNATIVE TRADE ADJUSTMENT ASSISTANCE (ATAA) AND REEMPLOYMENT TRADE ADJUSTMENT ASSISTANCE (RTAA) - a wage subsidy for up to two years that is available to reemployed older works and covers a portion of the difference between a worker's new wage and his/her old wage (up to a specified maximum amount).

Do workers have appeal rights for denied petitions?

Yes, Workers whose petitions for TAA are denied by the U.S. Department of Labor may request administrative reconsideration of the U.S. Department of Labor's finding within 30 days after publication of the final determination in the Federal Register.

The request for reconsideration must be in writing, including the name of the company, the TAA investigation number, and a description of the group of workers on whose behalf the petition was filed, and must cite specific reasons why the workers consider the decision to be in error, either according to the facts, the interpretation of the facts, or the law itself.

Requests for reconsideration should be mailed to the:

U.S. Department of Labor
Office of Trade Adjustment Assistance
200 Constitution Ave., N.W.
Room C-4318
Washington, D.C. 20210
(202) 219-5555

Workers may also file an appeal seeking judicial review of the U.S. Department of Labor's negative determination or redetermination within 60 days of publication of the denial in the Federal Register. Appeals for judicial review must be filed with the:

Office of the Clerk
U.S. Court of International Trade
One Federal Plaza
New York, New York 10007
(212) 264-7090

Getting Back to Work After a Trade-Related Layoff - Trade Adjustment Assistance Extension Act of 2011 (PDF)